Wednesday, April 8, 2009

for queen & country pt1

This past weekend I had played a show at a local Elks Lounge, it was my favorite type of show, one where majority of people in attendence are your friends, and to be honest this is when I am at my happiest playing music, for your friends and getting drunk in the process. To quote a saying from a muscian who's name I've lost to memory....
"Music Self-Played, is Happiness Self-Made"

it's medative to me, well that and long-boarding ( i must really suggest longboarding as a means of relaxtion) anywho...

At the show was this band was from Atlantic City, and for those who are unaware of that general region of New Jersey there is a certain type of population which inhabits such a area, they lovingly classify themselves as "white trash". They were a cliche hardcore punk band, with a guitarist who haphazardly soloed 94.3% of the time (let me interject here, there is two main instances of guitar soloing, that of simply "just soloing", and making love, you decide for yourself the differences but they are blatant). The singer looked like a an ex-marine who'd seen to many drunken nights in his time. They had played a song where the repeated chorus was .."fuck you! From Jersey! Fuck You! From Jersey"

and so i'll begin

One of the many instances of deep contemplation that occur on a daily bases for me is that of concerning my home state, that is the garden state aka dirty jerz aka armpit of the east coast aka the tomato state aka the crossroads of the revolution, New Jersey.

Now the fact that I commute to and from New York and New Jersey on a daily basis only exacerbates my thoughts of where I come from and where I'm going. Its truly mesmerizing, commuting on the bus that is, to transfer from one state of living to the other via the Lincoln tunnel, wondrously entering on one side and magically coming out on the other in this alien world, and it goes vice versa. Something tells me I'll write a film one day where tunnels represent change, but thats a blog for a different day.

Mainly I try and tackle why people from outside New Jersey hate her so. I get the feeling that people seem to take in to account the smallest negative occurences or experiences in New Jersey as a whole summary of the state (but it can be agreed this goes for all travelers in foreign regions). I even had a history professor poke fun at my lady of a state, "Thomas Edison had his laboratory in Menlo Park, NJ where he developed the light bulb, and the state hasn't been the same since.". I harbor no grudge though, if people would like to detest the garden then I will not protest, yet a few drinks will persuade me to do otherwise.

She is an eclectic state, both geographically and populace wise, even more so than some of the other neighboring states, and such a diversity only leaves that much more room for people to find their own faults with the state.

Its not quite clear to me what I'm trying to theorize here, undoubtedly a rant in a series of rants....

"Guy: But all of us except James are going to St. John's, and he's coming here to Queens.
Girl: But Gabrielle is going to Jersey! Everyone knows that once you go to Jersey, your soul dies."
(http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/archives/places/ew_jersey/)

No comments: