Monday, December 14, 2009

my friend and I stood ordering our whiskey, relaxing before taking the stage.

beside me was a older woman, in her 40s, maybe.

she was mildly drunk and subtly attractive.

she stood beside us and we exchanged glances.

her face showed the years, but her body, seemed to have forgotten it's age. her curves were young and her smile glowed.

"like my tattoo?"

she stuck out her pinky , scribbled on the side in cursive was the word promise.
"I make pinky promises for life"

"very clever" i said.

it was clever, but clever only goes so far. we acted interested, but all I could do was eye the bartender as she poured the whiskey into a tall cup.

keep going
keep going
she put the bottle down
"Goddamn don't stop", i said to myself

she grabbed the soda gun and shot in the ginger ale.

"8 dollars sweetie"

I dropped the money leaving no tip, she should of kept pouring. i raised my cup and miss promise continued.

"see I had breast cancer, and I made a promise to my daughters, don't cry for when I die, live your life"

she continued. daughters, breast cancer, death. this woman was laying it on thick.

"so they got the same tattoo, and we all promised"

I sipped at the drink. and checked the time, I had to start loading up.

"here lets make a promise" I said and raised my hand.

we locked pinkies

"what are we promising?" she said

"we're promising to promise"

she smiled, "ok".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really fucking great. You should write more often.

MotherNaturesSon said...

thanks man.

Yacki said...

Oh, man. I really liked this.